Back-to-School Conference to Offer Strategies for the Prevention of Youth Suicide
The New Jersey Association of Mental Health and Addiction Agencies Inc. (NJAMHAA) and Attitudes In Reverse® (AIR™) will hold their sixth annual National Suicide Prevention Day Conference entitled “Back to School: Building Youths’ Resiliency” on Tuesday, Sept. 11, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Carrier Clinic, 252 County Road 601, in Belle Mead. The event is co-sponsored by Carrier Clinic, an NJ psychiatric hospital and recovery center, and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Central Jersey Chapter. Health and education professionals, as well as others who work with youth and/or have children, are encouraged to attend.
Highlights will include:
- Keynote presentation, “Safety Planning Intervention to Reduce Risk of Suicide,” by Barbara Stanley, Ph.D., director, suicide prevention training, implementation, and evaluation program, Center for Practice Innovations, New York State Psychiatric Institute; professor of medical psychology, department of psychiatry, Columbia University.
- “Words Matter: Changing the Language of Suicide to Eliminate Stigma,” by Tricia Baker, YMHFA, CPDT-KA, and Kurtis Baker, YMHFA, CFP®, co-founders of AIR, a Princeton-based nonprofit whose mission is to save lives through mental health and suicide-prevention education.
- “Bullying, its Impact on Mental Health and Strategies to Address and Prevent It,” by Sarabjit Singh, MD, medical director, Saint Clare’s Hospital; and Warren Ververs, MSW, LCSW, C-ASWCM, manager, outpatient behavioral health services, Saint Clare’s Behavioral Health.
- Panel Discussion, “Impact of Social Media and Related Strategies and Resources,” with Tara Chalakani, LPC, NCC, ACS, RN, vice president, mental health services for youth and families, Preferred Behavioral Health Group; Ankur Desai, MD, medical director, PerformCare; Jessica Haurin, LAC, clinician, Robins’ Nest Inc., and Jennifer Kugler, LPC, ACS, program director, Robins’ Nest Inc.
- Inspiring Performance by actor/singer T.O.N.E.-z.
About Carrier Clinic
Carrier Clinic, a private, nonprofit Central Jersey behavioral health system, specializes in psychiatric health services and addiction treatment. Carrier’s system includes an inpatient psychiatric hospital, alcohol and drug detoxification and rehabilitation center, adolescent and teen residential facility, and a fully accredited middle and high school for students classified as emotionally disturbed. For more information about Carrier Clinic and its services contact us through our website or call 1-800-933-3579.